Wednesday, October 8, 2008

An Amazing Child

I'm trying to compose the perfect dictionary definition for Elliott. Some items to include would be beautiful, smart, intent, intelligent, moody, hard-headed, strong-willed, funny, emotional, introverted, and loving. He is a complex little man with MANY emotions and many very set ideas about his life and routine. Due to some of the adjustments issues he's had, I am making sure to overly appreciate small victories with him. For instance, last night, when I was again explaining to him about my trip, I asked him if he was going to miss me. And the little rat teased me and told me no and just laughed and laughed. I mean, I guess I should be thankful I had to travel as much as I did in the past 2.5 years because I think he's learning that Mami does come back. Maybe it's even good for his abandonment issues. I leave, but I always come back. Another new thing we are loving at our house is his newest statement: "I love you SO MUCH!" accompanied by a big hug, kiss and "Um, UM!" hugging sound. Can you hear my heart shattering into millions of pieces?

The smart little bugger just about has both Llama Llama books memorized, even down to the same voice inflections I use. Doug sat and watched in amazement last night. Of course, Doug is only allowed to read If You Give a Pig a Pancake because Daddy is a little lacking in the dramatic department. Whereas Elliott is not, sometimes to our detriment. In giving my mom instructions for daycare duty the next two mornings, I had to make sure she knew, "If he requests marshmallows for breakfast, make sure you give him 3 in his bowl. And if you can't decipher which Jimmy he wants to watch, just call me." I'm thinking I might should add abnormally demanding to his definition.

No comments: