Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Freeze! Put Your Paws in the Air!

Ah. A nice evening walk in the Fall breeze (finally!). Only to have to hoist the 35-pounder and hustle home as we were being pursued by a German Shepherd who was not adhering to the leash law and who very much wanted to eat every animal out and about on our street. Including at our house. And once he followed us there, he decided it was a nice place and that he should just hang out. I mean, I get it. Seven animals at one casa does indicate a certain welcoming atmosphere. So we have Elliott either in the boat or in the back of the truck, and we're trying to keep Poco in the boat and finally having to lock her inside (not with the other cats, of course). All the while trying unsuccessfully to call the Dog Catcher, whose number we cannot find in the phone book and we acquired from the Police Department. After awhile we just called the police back and asked them to do something about him.

So, not one, not two, but THREE cop cars are dispatched to our house. And one stops in the road, blocking traffic on our busy street. I only wish that you, my three faithful readers, could have seen this spectacle. One cop actively trying to woo the dog into the car. The other two just doing nothing but watching. It was finally determined that the dog was nice to people, so the cop borrows a collar and leash from me, and the dog trots with him to the car. But then he realized the intent was to put him into the backseat, and I'm here to tell you that dog did the best cat impersonation I've ever seen a dog do. All four legs extended to keep himself out of that car. I could hear him screaming (because I understand dog), "I'm not a criminal! So I chased a few cats, give me a break!" By this point in time, I was sad and questioning my motives and their intentions. But hey, he threatened my Poco, and that will just not do. But later in the night I felt better about it when the cop returned the leash. Doug asked what would happen to the dog. Copper said that if no one claimed him, he was his. Aw, a happy ending!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Aww. That is a happy ending! Sounds like something Toula would do...even though she "likes" cats.

Design Girl said...

That's sweet. I'm sure the nice cop will make a happy German Shepard daddy.

mkraiz said...

I'm over being a good citizen and picking up strays. It only comes back to bite you in the butt!