Wednesday, November 4, 2009

We Passed Go

I have this image of Doug and I in tiny, plastic form on a gameboard as I try to take you chronologically through this amazing journey. How cute would that be? HA!

So where was I? Right, May 2005 and first piece of paperwork. That paperwork involved contracting with a state agency to conduct our homestudy. We still had not chosen our international agency, even though we now knew we wanted to adopt from Guatemala. So, more research! I was really digging a KY agency, but they only worked with Guatemala and China, and a co-worker who was also adopting at that time advised us to choose an agency that worked with more than one country. Wise advice because if a country ever closes, you can switch within the same agency to another country program. So since we were not eligible for China, I sadly had to give up on the idea of the KY agency. I had participated in at least one conference call with another agency, and I just couldn't find an agency that felt like the right fit. One Monday at Wrestling Night (that is a whole other story), Brock mentioned that Steven Curtis Chapman had some kind of adoption organization. So I checked into it. Founded by the Chapmans, Shaohannah's Hope, http://www.showhope.org/, is a movement to care for orphans. The organization gives grants to needy adoptive couples and has a large movement to start adoption ministries in churches. I can in no way explain it to the degree it deserves, so check it out. They do amazing work. But anyway, they have a list of agencies they recommend. And after researching those, that is how I finally found our agency!

Next up: The hoops begin, and I become obsessed with money.

No comments: