Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mrs. Batman, Postal Worker

After reading my previous entry, Sara called me this morning to remind me about, and I quote, "the excessive mailbox checking," that I forced her to do in the fall of 2005. After my OH YEAH! moment, now I can't stop being amused at both of us.

At this point we are waiting on the 171-H to come from USCIS so that we can officially be put on the waiting list. We had nothing left to do ourselves. And I am out of my mind waiting for that piece of paper. So, I imposed upon Sara, who was working in West Point at the time, to go by my house every day at lunch and look in the mailbox. I'm wondering how many weeks this went on? (And I'm chuckling.) My thought being I didn't have to torture myself all day if it wasn't in there, and if it was in there I could go home and get it! I grew tired of waiting very quickly, and I pulled out the big guns. The only way to check the status of this paperwork is to contact your Congressman's office. You can imagine how lengthy a phone call that is being transfered and put on hold and what have you. I finally got a very nice and competent lady on the phone, and here came that bitch slap I've been yammering about:
Ma'am, your (official) homestudy did not reach USCIS until [insert date here that I have blocked from my mind to protect my own sanity and those responsible].
I was in complete shock. Our waiting had only begun due to the delivery by our homestudy agency of the paperwork WELL PAST when I thought it had been sent. OH I can still feel the slap across my face. And it still hurts. BUT, I have to remember that God's plan is HIS plan. Not mine. And in retrospect, had we made it unto the list earlier, we would have been refered a child other than Elliott. Because my dear baby would not be born until Nov. 22. So wait we did.

And, Sara, thank you.

2 comments:

mkraiz said...

I'm getting so excited waiting on your post about the day that Holly, Sara and I were there with you and you got a certain package full of greatness. Insert big stupid grin on my face, right now!

Chicken's Mom said...

Man, that fantastic day may have to be written in chapters! I will always cherish that y'all were there. What would I do without you?