Tuesday, November 24, 2009

It might not grow on trees, but how about in flowers?

I failed to mention that beginning in late June 2005 I started working for my friend Scott at his flower shop on Saturdays to earn extra money. My first day there a very alarming weakness was exposed: I can't tie balloons. I have never been able to twist that itty bitty remaining piece of latex around my fingers into a knot. But after numerous demonstrations that day (he deserves sainthood for so many reasons, and this is one of them), I finally conquered balloon tying!

My favorite duties there were the manual labor ones and not the creatives ones; my creativity is severely limited. This worked out well as every other employee there has hated washing buckets, cleaning out the cooler, etc. I loved doing those things. I think it was like the change rolling -- I felt like I was doing something, earning my way toward my baby if you will.

A unique situation presented itself while I was working there. I have always wanted to be as good as Erica at giving "happies" when someone needs one. And while I worked at the flower shop, I had a short lived time of being that person. And it felt so good! I gave more gifts during that 10-11 months than maybe ever combined ;). The benefit, of course, was a feeling of doing good for others combined with taking my mind off the "woe is I, I'm ready for my baby" sob fest.

Side note: I don't say this to brag, but to emphasize that even though I had become obsessed with financing this adoption, I didn't totally lose sight of reality and others who had been so generous to us. We were making so much from our yard sales that I started to feel really guilty about it. So three times Mom and I took part of the profits to other family members who either had medical bills or desperately needed a vacation.

The funny thing is, at the end of my time working for Scott, I think I only cleared $500. But he gave me the opportunity to save my sanity. Thank you, Scott.

All of this to say that when we found out we were #1 on the waiting list (!!!) a few weeks after getting on it in November 2005, Scott and Katie sent me a snowman ornament to work in celebration. In less than a week I will hang that ornament on our tree, like I have every year, and I will always cherish the friends who sent it.

No comments: