Thursday, November 19, 2009

Vegas: Prologue

I interrupt this adoption story to bring you the tales of Vegas. Have no fear, you can click on "adoption" at the bottom of any post and all the entries will be together for your reading pleasure.

A couple of years ago Holly, Michelle, Erica and I decided we wanted to take a trip to celebrate our 30th birthdays. We planned to do it in 2010 when 3 of us turn 30 (Michelle is a few days shy from being in 2010). But when we started researching, we found a deal to Vegas that expired this month. So there you go, Vegas in November to celebrate.

We were scheduled to fly out of Jackson on Wednesday, Nov. 11. Since it was an early flight, Erica and I planned to go down on Tuesday night. On Monday night, Elliott started running fever. Please note that Elliott had not been sick in a year and a half -- no joke. But let me have a trip planned that I could not get my money back on, and bam, sick. I took him to the doctor on Tuesday...FLU. OMG, I was so upset. What do I do? Do I stay and lose out on the money and on the celebratory trip? Do I go and feel like the worst mother ever? After MUCH crying and talking with lots of people, and with Doug assuring me I should go, I finally got in the van with Erica and headed to Jackson. Boy that was hard.

Insert private joke: Emily's Tamiflu

When we got to Jackson we headed to a costume jewelry store to get fancy for Vegas. With some baubles selected, we climbed back in the van...only to climb right back out. Flat tire. Many thanks to the kind gentleman who assisted us, though we all feel quite confident Michelle could have saved us pansies. Michelle came up with a plan for dropping the van at a tire store and leaving the key in the drop box. As Erica began to show the first signs of calming down, WHAM! New problem...iPhone locked in the van, the keys now held hostage in the tire store drop box. But our girl is industrious, and thanks to a good ole' pop-a-lock service, the phone was rescued!

To recap, we have one member of the crew with overwhelming mommy guilt for leaving her sick child, and one member who has had a flat tire, left her van to total strangers, and paid to have her phone rescued. Nothing Xanax-induced sleep can't correct!

No comments: