Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Irrational Hatred of Counters

2002-2005 was a very hard 3-year span. Just ask Doug. I graduated with my bachelor's in May 2002, started on my master's in August 2002, and took my first full-time, professional job in August 2002. Oh yeah, and we bought our house in March 2002. That's the published, obvious stuff. The real hardship was the infertility battle. Then again, it was partially the infertility battle, but mainly the battle of how to proceed with the adoption. What are our options? How to we get this kind of $? Domestic or international? What country? The amount of trees that died in my quest to possess every piece of information on international adoption is amazing. I had a very hard time throwing out my research at a later date because I had such a connection to it.

As much as I hated my master's, I realize that the pursuit of it and the completion of it partially saved me from an emotional breakdown. Instead of ticking off the days until I was 25 and we could begin an international adoption, I busied myself with research papers and night classes (vomit).

So why am I reliving this today? Because I just signed up for my first course as a undergraduate readmit/second bachelor's student. I am pursuing my dream to become a social worker. Yes, it is the ambition I did not fully realize until 2005. I believe it to be my calling. But, I have to admit that it may not be a coincidence that I am doing this now as I begin to feel the tugs of the baby bug. Going back to school just might save some poor person's social networking page from my irrational emotions.

No comments: