Friday, April 17, 2009

Cupcake Canvas

Five years ago when Erica got married (wow, I didn't realize until just now it had been 5 years), Holly, Michelle and I set out to liven up her self-planned bachelorette spend the night party. She had planned the location and food and everything, so we decided we had to do something funny/naughty. Not sure how she drew the shortest straw, but Holly called bakeries around Jackson inquiring about adult novelty cakes. Now you cannot appreciate the true funniness of this unless you really know Holly. But I will always remember with an uproar of laughter how she recounted the disgust in the woman's voice when she informed her they did NOT make those kind of cakes. Having struck out and been mortally embarrassed, Holly passed the baton to me. Luckily, I can usually find some freak to go with me on such a mission. So off set Sara, Elizabeth and I to Fantasyland, on Hwy 69 of course. The phalic cake pan was a bit too much, so we chose the cupcake pan; and it was not cheap. And giggled all the way back to Tibbee. When I got ready to make the cupcakes, I called Sara for tips on flesh colored icing. Who knew that her graphic design degree and all that training in art would turn out to be so beneficial for not only making the most perfect flesh colored icing in the world but also for all the thought she put into the realism of those cupcakes. They were works of art. She even took a toothpick and sculpted the icing. And I think we burned hundreds of calories laughing while we did it. I was both proud and somewhat embarrassed to reveal, and later consume, those cupcakes. But nothing would compare to the mortification I would days later know when Mr. Turnip told me how funny he thought it was. CUE SHOCK AND COMPLETE AND UTTER EMBARRASSMENT. Seems Erica thought it was so funny that she took the last remaining cupcake and showed her then future in-laws. I'm not sure I've ever been able to completely look him in the eye since then.

No comments: