Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Spring Break Revisited

Spring 1998. Six girls, three very fun adult chaperons. A week in Mexico to become more cultured, though I'm not really sure falling into a suitcase after excessive drinking made us so. That trip also taught us about how the actual process of international travel isn't so much fun. Ridiculously long delays, guarding our mounds of luggage from weirdos, oh yeah, and in-country air travel aboard the flying coffin. Why, you may ask, are you reliving this fine memory today, Emily? The memory was brought sharply into focus last night after a similar experience, though this time the coffin was on four wheels. I thought my life was coming to an end on the way to Sunflower to purchase a $2.65 bottle of ketchup on my debit card. My poor old Isuzu Rodeo has been so abused by its subsequent owners that it is now the automotive equivalent of that airplane 10 years ago. It even had a beverage cart, water pouring in from the sunroof into my purse and onto my body while backing out of my driveway. The mere five minutes I spent in it roundtrip were so horrifying that upon return to my house I said to Jack with the crazy eyes, "We are going car shopping on Friday." No asking when he wanted to go or when he thought he was ready to buy. Oh no. "Daddy, it's time....IT'S TIME."

1 comment:

mkraiz said...

I love it!! Holly and I were just talking about Aeromexico the other day!! I totally sympathize with Jack and his leaky car.....doh!