Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Potty Propaganda

"Information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc."

Yep, that about sums up what's going on at our house -- potty propaganda. I have known for quite some time that I was not going to enjoy the potty training battle. And that is what it is, a battle. We make some strategic moves, he resists us. Daycare gives it a shot, they get mixed results. So then the support materials begin appearing. The Flush the Potty book. Let me just tell you, he is so not impressed. I mean, he's giving off this vibe like, "This is lame; why are you subjecting me to this? I shall choose to ignore you." And I can't say I blame him. Every adult who has attempted to read the book to him stumbles when the get to the words "poop and pee." Though at least one of these adults -- DADDY -- thinks grown up potty humor is funny. But he can't say "poop and pee" from a child's potty book. Go figure. But I must confess my own shortcomings in this battle. While on Amazon shopping for something else and needing another purchase that qualified for free shipping, I found an Elmo DVD on potty training. I looked it over, I thought about it, and I COULD NOT get myself to buy it. I kept thinking, "45 minutes of Elmo telling us to potty? I don't think so." And I can just imagine him seeing 5 minutes of it and then demanding to watch Thomas.

One thing this battle is reaffirming about E, though: how much like me he is. Trust me when I say, God knows what he is doing. He found MY child all those miles away in Guatemala, a child so much like me and Jero that it is unbelievable. And yes, that is a scary thought: 1/2 me, 1/2 Jero. But that is a story for another day.

2 comments:

mkraiz said...

Emily what about letting him watch the "Look Who's Talking Movie". You know the one where the kid talks about monster that eats his peepee and poopoo.

Chicken's Mom said...

ooh, good idea!