Thursday, August 21, 2008

Slumber Not So Wonderful

I have not slept through the night in over two years. In fact, I can no longer remember what it is like to lay down, fall into a really deep sleep, and not wake up again until morning. We saw a couple at dinner the other night with their newborn baby, and I almost punched them in the face when they proudly reported, "She's already sleeping through the night." Yo, Chicken, she's making you look bad. Have some self respect and be offended enough to STOP WAKING UP. Just when I think we were seeing a pattern of him not waking up, he gets a cold and the congestion wakes him up and then the infamous battle is on: "I want my JUUUUUICE." If I could go back to when we were prepping to take the bottle away and I was slyly tempting him with the sweet nectar in a sippie cup, I would bitch-slap myself. And I would have never given him juice. He could have discovered it at the age of 5.

I know this after the wee hours of this morning: something's gotta give. There is only one other bed in our house, and it's a teeny tiny toddler bed. And the big bed ain't holding 3 people much longer. And funnily enough, a coworker just announced, while I was working on this post, that he and his wife are expecting. After my joy for him, I internally gave an evil laugh. I hope he rests up.

1 comment:

mkraiz said...

But Emily, you didn't want him to be the kid that is still carrying around the bottle at 2, while all the other parents gossip behind your back!! Maybe y'all could keep a mini fridge next to the bed full of juice and sippy cups.