Sunday, May 5, 2013

My Whole30 Thoughts to Date

You may be thinking, hey lady, you've only been doing this Whole30 thing for 7 days.  But actually, all my tries combined, I've made it over 30 days.  But this time I intended to make it consecutively and say I'VE DONE IT!

Know that it takes at least a week to see any positive changes in your body.  Which is hard for me who needs immediate confirmation that sacrifices are paying off.  After the 1 week mark I notice I feel thinner and the bloat is almost gone.  But I don't know about pounds lost because you are not allowed to weigh until you make it the entire 30 days.

Black coffee is easier if it's flavored.  However, the hubs hates flavored coffee, so I only make it on weekends when he's working.  The rest of the time it's good ole' Folgers black.

Yes, that is a Jerry Springer coffee mug.  It was free (my favorite), but it's a great shaped mug.

Make sure you have a support system.  And I don't mean people just cheering on this "crazy diet" you've decided to try.  (I've heard that phrase a ridiculous number of times by now.)  You really need someone who's doing it with you or at least a similar challenge.  The first time I had Jack and Sara.  The failed attempt in April was alone; not shocking.  This time I have Michelle and Angel, who is trying something different but similarly limiting.  We spend A LOT of time talking, texting and emailing about recipes,  products, challenges, GRIPES, etc. 

Speaking of texts, last night one of us almost caved on Diet Coke.  I took a trip down memory blog lane the other night, and it really helped me have some faith in myself.  I never thought I could give up sweet tea or Dr. Pepper, but I did in 2010.  Actually, I never thought I would LIKE Diet Coke, and now here I am writing it love letters every week that I can't have it.  Oh yeah, and I never thought I'd like skim milk...nearly 15 years ago.

And speaking of time, this eating plan takes tons of prep work.  I spend Sunday mornings pouring over Pinterest and "granola" blogs looking for recipes that I might legitamitely make. 

Our trip to Whole Foods in Bham last weekend was something.  First, they were out of coconut aminos, which is the only thing I wanted to buy in Bham.  I seriously wanted to have a cry baby fit right there in the aisle.  We also tried Fresh Market and Golden Temple for it with no luck.  Golden Temple was one of the strangest stores I've ever been in (um, is that a pentagram on that mortle and pestle?), but it is where I acquired the date sugar!

The funniest and grossest has been kombucha.  I egged Michelle into buying it, and OMG.  Worst drink ever.  Tastes like vinegar mixed with pond water.  Michelle chugged 1/2 the bottle to feel better about the money she spent on it (just another reason we get each other; frugal rules!).  Notice the sludge in the bottom of the bottle.

 
So eating like this at home is interesting.  The first 20 days, I altered food just for me.  Then I decided to subtlely get the males in the house on it too.  (Let's be honest, the 2-yr doesn't eat normally enough to get her on it.)  I haven't bought bread in 3-4 weeks.  Afternoon snacks have consisted mostly of fresh fruit and Larabars.  I have let E have low-carb yogurt because otherwise we're running out of snack ideas and ways to get him full.  I've also let him have ranch dressing because it's the only way he eats salad.  His sandwich box in his school lunch now consists of rolled up lunch meat, a boiled egg, grape tomatoes and baby carrots.  The first day he was NOT impressed.  "My lunch was a piece of junk!" he said, channeling Si from Duck Dynasty.  He has complained less over this 3-week period.  It was actually a good day the day I packed a bowl of tuna salad with a fork (no crackers, no bread).  He wants it every day!  Of course, due to mercury it will be a once a week lunch item.  

Their usual morning breakfast has been eggs and cereal with skim milk.  I tried getting them on eggs and bacon, and for some reason they resisted.  Doug, not being very supported, went out and bought them cereal after less than 2 weeks.  More to come on this issue, GRR.

So one more thing.  I FINALLY have the coconut aminos, a soy sauce alternative, in my cabinet.  After 3 stores in Bham, lo and behold the health food store in Columbus had it.  Elizabeth was kind enough to deliver, but there is certainly a trip there in my future. 


Cauliflower fried rice, here I come!

2 comments:

mkraiz said...

Worst drink ever!!! Seriously people! Just make sassy water! blegh! Have you tried the coconut aminos yet? I have.....Not a great sub, I am afraid.

Chicken's Mom said...

OH NO! After pursuing it like the holy grain, I've been so hopeful :(