Thursday, May 9, 2013

Days 10 & 11 - Weary

Day 11 - Thursday, May 9

Breakfast: Black coffee, water, banana

Lunch: I was having a TERRIBLE day at work and was actually kinda trapped in a meeting as lunch was fast approaching.  Lucky for me that Angel is awesome.  She ordered lunch, went and got it, and made healthy choices for me -- chicken grill salad with takeout oil and vinegar!  I only got to eat about half before being called into another meeting, but I was so thankful for it!

Afternoon snack 1: Deluxe mixed nuts 2.25 oz package (Angel even took care of my snack for me!)

Afternoon snack 2: Banana

Supper at Taste of Home following baseball: I watched everyone else eat fried catfish and the best baked potatoes on earth, followed by homemade Mennonite pie, while I ate baked chicken and double salad for my sides.  The first bowl of salad I opted for Italian (again with places not having oil and vinegar, oy!).  But I've come to hate the taste of Italian dressing.  I have really gotten to like oil and vinegar, but I desperately miss ranch.  So here's the journey my brain went on, "Italian isn't 100% compliant, so why is it any better than ranch?  The Atkins diet said ranch was ok.  I mean, they both have added stuff....I miss ranch...I'm not eating fried foods or sugar or carbs...I'M GOING TO EAT RANCH!!!"  And it was the best thing I've eaten in 11 days.

I am sitting here with my nightly 9 pm craving for sugar.  Some nights I eat a spoonful of almond butter.  Some nights I eat fresh fruit.  Some nights I tough it out and go to bed.  But I do find myself wondering if at the end of the 30 days I'll maybe finally not crave sugar at this time of night?

Final thoughts for today.  I had a very emotionally tough day at work.  And usually my answer is to fat-kid comfort eat.  So I'm thinking that since I made it through today without Diet Coke and chocolate and carbs, maybe just maybe there's hope for me in the long run.  Maybe...

Fruits = 3 servings (banana x2, mixed fruit cup)
Vegetables = at least 4 (Salad x2: lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers)
Protein = a lot (grilled chicken x2 and bacon)
Healthy fat = a lot (~2 servings of mixed nuts plus salad dressings)


Day 10 - Wednesday, May 8

Breakfast: Black coffee, water, deluxe mixed nuts 2.25 oz package

Lunch: DISCLAIMER--I ate Chinese food.  OMG, I know!  But listen.  Between semesters, campus seems to forget that even though the students are gone there are still several thousand employees on campus who also eat food.  So when me and my work BFF forget our lunches in the hustle and bustle of life, we expect to have the option of walking over and picking up a salad from Toss It Up or Subway.  But no, all but 2 eateries were closed, leaving us to choose between Chick-fil-a and Panda Express.  Y'all, there's only so much chargrilled chicken salad you can eat from Chick-fil-a.  I was lulled into stupidity by the signed at the Panda that says "We add no MSG."  So I chose three entrees: beef with asparagus and mushrooms, peppercorn shrimp, and kung pao chicken (removed the peanuts).  So yes, it most likely had soy in it and/or unapproved oil.  But I choose to see that I ate protein and veggies.  Nothing fried/breaded, no noodles or rice, and no honey walnut shrimp (oh so sad to pass that up).  I added an unsweet tea and fruit cup from Chick-fil-a, and I ate every bite with a combination of slight guilt and justification wrapped up together.

Afternoon snack: Another deluxe mixed nuts 2.25 oz package (I forgot everything at home remember)

Supper: Cajun turkey, steamed broccoli, sauteed cabbage (Doug makes THE BEST cabbage)


I've decided to incorporate a food talley in every so often. Here goes for today:

Fruits = 1 serving (mixed fruit cup)
Vegetables = 6? (asparagus, mushrooms, celery, bell pepper, broccoli, cabbage)
Protein = a lot (beef, shrimp, chicken, turkey)
Healthy fat = a lot (~4-5 servings of mixed nuts)

No comments: