Sunday, June 27, 2010

Treating Every Day as a Special Day

The above sounds really positive, doesn't it? You may be expecting me to launch into some rainbows and puppies gusher about life. But in this case, this title is a negative. Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but allow me to explain.

A year ago, my coworker met Bill, the Season 4 winner of The Biggest Loser. The lesson he stressed was that so many people say/think, "Well, I worked out today, so I can reward myself." But the thing we don't realize is that one day of doing good does not even make a dent in the special occasion splurges we make. He said when we go to a wedding we may over eat to the equivalent of four days worth of calories without realizing it. But then we have one "good" day, and we want to treat ourselves. Hence, the balance is completely shifted into the overindulgence column all the time.

The women in my life, nearly all of them, are all about some justification. We love food, and we love to socialize around food. It's always someone's special something. It's a birthday, an anniversary, someone's last day at work...the list goes on and on. Just last night, we went out with our BFF family, the Turnips. And as always, we had a great night. But I FAR EXCEEDED my allotment for the day.

It all boils down to me RE-learning discipline...in all arenas of my life. Sure, I can celebrate all the special days of life, but that does not mean I can celebrate with cheese sticks and dessert. I have to make lifestyle changes (all credit to Weight Watchers), and I have to stick with them. I have made some progress (no DP, no sweet tea, etc.), but I have many more to go. So I'll toast myself with a glass of water with lime. And maybe, just maybe, a ribbon baton.

No comments: