Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Dollars and Sense

While procrastinating from doing my homework tonight, I reached for my "Dave Ramsey" binder that happens to be located in my computer desk. It occurred to me that it's been nearly 6 months since embarking on the DESTROY THE DEBT crusade. So I did some quick number crunching, and here is what I was shocked to discover:

WE HAVE PAID DOWN OUR DEBT BY 46% IN 5.5 MONTHS!

Note: Neither the beginning debt or the current reduced debt includes my car payment or our house payment. Just speaking in terms of "other" debt.

I am beyond amazed and once again renewed in the quest. Just a few weekends ago I was so bummed out by my pathetic yard sale, not to mention the increased grumbling of the household as we ride out our last few weeks until the satellite comes back on. But yet, I can see our sacrifices and diligence paying off. Have we got this thing 100% figured out? No way. Are we working on it? Heck yeah. Can paying attention and making wiser choices - what feel like small steps at the time - pay off? We are proof. And yes, a nice tax refund and a little less than half the proceeds from selling a boat surely helped, but to me the real impacts have come from our small, collective decisions.

And I am so thankful for a husband who agreed to save >$300 over this 6-month period by going without satellite. I have heard so many times during these months from other people that their husbands would never have gone for that.

The next few months are going to be a little tougher with seasonal expenses upon us, but I have faith that we can continue gritting our teeth and keeping our eyes on Spring 2011. More good things to come!

No comments: