Sunday, May 23, 2010

Reduce ~ Reuse ~ Recycle

This morning while attacking the revulsion that was my kitchen, I took the time to wash a pretzel bucket and a coffee bucket. The pretzel bucket for cars and other little boy whatnots, and the coffee bucket for paint. Not only was I born with an old soul, but I was also born into 1/2 of a thrifty family. My mom is one of 8 children of a farmer and a homemaker...thrifty was a necessity. A few Sundays ago I reached into a cabinet at my grandmother's house, and it was days before I realized that the entire drawer of "Tupperware" had been whipped topping, cottage cheese and butter tubs. It took me days to realize it because it's completely normal to me. There was a time early in my marriage when I refused to keep such containers. But now, ever since all my real Tupperware has walked off at the hands of Douglas, I am once again embracing these practices. And why not? Why should I unnecessarily use money from my extremely tight budget while throwing away plastic tubs into a landfill? My new found cheapness is a few more steps toward saving the planet. Excuse me while I go hug a tree.

2 comments:

Kasey said...

Just like you all my good stuff we received as wedding gifts have somehow disappeared. My cabinets now look like your grandmothers, and there is nothing wrong with that!!

Chicken's Mom said...

Love it!