Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Preparation

I think a lot about the different paths we take to become parents. One of my favorite quotes about adoption is (paraphrased and source temporarily forgotten), "Adoptive families are not better or worse, but we are different." Some times people in my life, with the best intentions, try to minimize this fact. But I embrace it. I believe, as does adoption research, that embracing our differences, in lieu of cover up, is vitally important.

I don't, however, always so easily embrace the difference in preparation. I know that when you are planning to become pregnant you take a lot of steps physically, even going to the dentist to prevent against gum disease and early labor (that still amazes me). But have you ever calculated your net worth as a preparation for your next child?

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/networth/networth.html

This is a step Doug and I have to take in our family planning. Odd, isn't it?

Tonight we are going to sit in on an adoption webinar. We're a long way from starting paperwork still, but we are researching! Gotta start somewhere!

No comments: