Friday, February 26, 2010

Sins of the Finances: Chapter 4

It has occurred to me that in the Prologue of this "book" I inadvertently sounded like I never spend money on myself, when really what I meant is that I don't spend money on this body and it's accompanying stuff. I spend money on house stuff, I've spent money on poor planning for regular life purchases, and then there is my weak area: TRIPS. But before I go into detail about my personal trips, let me tell you about some past experiences that have cost me dearly...for WORK.

In my old job, I traveled about 5 times a year. It doesn't sound like that much, except it was usually all in the fall/winter of the year. That makes 5 trips a whole lot closer together. And I may never get over what I consider to be an extremely big personal disadvantage. I was not allowed to have my employer purchase my plane tickets. I purchased all of them -- months in advance -- on my PERSONAL credit card. I charged all work related trip items -- hotels, taxis, meals, everything -- on my personal credit card. And there is NO WAY to recoup months worth of finance charges/interest for this crap. So for 5 years, at ~5 trips a year, I took a major personal hit on my credit card for work purchases and the accompanying finance charges and interest. That fact gets me really riled up. But, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that sometimes when I got those travel reimbursements back (minus those finance charges and interest!), I sometimes did not pay it on the card b/c low and behold (sing it with me: B/C OF POOR PLANNING!) I would need to play catch up. So work would put me behind, and then I would put myself even farther behind. But anyhoo.

In the summer of 2006 I was supposed to go to Puerto Rico for work, and my mom and Elliott were going to go with me. AFTER buying the plane tickets, I found out that I could not take Elliott out of the country since we had not completed his readoption paperwork. So not only did I have to get out of going on this work trip, but now I had two plane tickets already charged to my credit card. I couldn't get a monetary refund, but we could use the tickets toward another flight. Well, we had talked at length about going to NYC one year before Jeb graduated from college. So hey, let's go! Mom, dad and I headed to NYC that December for several days of fun, food and shopping. As you can imagine, a trip to NYC does not come cheap. But we had so much fun! I have to tell you, I do not regret taking that trip. I have great memories of a rare trip of just the 4 of us (b/c we met up with Jeb once we got there), and I got to see the city at Christmastime. Amazing. When I got back, I was sharing my good times with my friends. Our conversation somehow snowballed into planning a girl getaway also to NYC. Well, due to Holly's work/school schedule, February 2007 was a good month. So, I turned around TWO MONTHS LATER and went back to NYC. I know, I know, very stupid. But you know what? I don't regret that trip either. We had a blast! The next summer, for work with my new job, I had the chance to go back to NYC. And though work paid for my plane ticket and hotel, there is no way to eat in NYC on a work per diem. So my CC took another hit. But going to NYC three times in 18 months was awesome. I had so much fun each time, and I can't wait to go back again. I do plan on saving money in advance this time, though. :)

As mentioned previously, our annual trips to PCB usually made a dent or two on the CC except for the past 2-3 years. A little evidence of some sense started to kick in. And then came the 30th birthday trip. The trip that had been talked about since that NYC February 2007 trip. But dang, 2.5 years had passed, and that saving I was going to do for that trip had somehow not happened (cue sarcasm). Oh well, what's another trip on the CC, right? AH, SNAG. Michelle booked the trip. There would be no swiping my favorite piece of silver plastic and paying it off until eternity. What to do? Work out a payment plan with my friends (cue shame). And what about cash for the trip? There are times during traveling when that ole' CC can't be used. Where to get spare cash from? Lightbulb! I CASHED IN MY TWO SAVINGS BONDS FROM HIGH SCHOOL AND ROLLED CHANGE.

I got home from Vegas, and that stack of medical bills was staring at me. I couldn't breathe, and I realized this ridiculousness could not continue. In fact, I had wanted very badly for Doug and me to take a trip this summer for our 10th anniversary -- a trip that we would have to charge. But in returning home from Vegas, I realized just how insane that logic was. So I picked up that Dave book, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I hope this is the last chapter in this book. I hope the only things left to report are how hard we are fighting to claw our way out. And we will get there. Our snowball is already lower from just a few short months of tightening down. I have taken off the blinders, and I have remembered what I have always known. I can't have everything I want, when I want it. My parents worked very hard to teach me that, and I have to stop pretending otherwise.

Writing all this down for anyone to read has been very humiliating, but that was part of the goal. Accountability is a key ingredient. I have worked very hard to retrain my actions. When I see that pretty silver card in my wallet, I scowl at it. And I tell it that I'm not going to take it out and use it. And when I put on my jeans with the button missing, I smile.

No comments: