Monday, February 22, 2010

Sins of the Finances: Chapter 2

In retrospect I'm kinda picturing the first 5 years of our marriage as us running around waving our arms above our heads, running into walls and doing the SpongeBob war-whoop. Unorganized, fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants life living. It's not that we were partying it up all the time, we just weren't planning and budgeting wisely. Some of the big purchases I remember making were home upgrades that included flooring for 3/4ths of our house (I was going to pay it off with the tax refund, but I feel pretty sure that this did not happen as the labor to put all that flooring down took the majority of it) and materials to update both bathrooms, including 2 pedestal sinks, new faucets, 2 toilets, wall tile and floor tile. Other notable entries in this chapter include the yearly PCB vacations as well as too many vehicle trade-ins.

But I think things really started to go downhill in a hurry in 2005. As you probably know, that was the year we were pursuing Elliott's adoption. All my energy was focused on the process and financing it. But that took my attention away from normal avenues, and the lack of attention just made the already not well organized situation that much worse. Plus, I'm pretty sure everything I bought for the baby we so desperately waited for was charged. Just with a quick mental review I come up with the following items:
  • Baby bed hardware
  • Baby mattress
  • Baby bedding
  • Fabric, fabric, fabric
  • Bookcase
  • Hamper
  • Rug
  • Clothes
  • (Not to mention paint, supplies, etc.)
This accountability stuff is hard work.

No comments: