Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentine Assembly Line

Last night we sat down for the second year to work on Valentines. Last year I made the mistake of waiting until the day before to buy them, and there were very few choices. This year E and his daddy went early in order to get some good ones. E selected Cars valentines that came with pencils. I was delighted b/c you get to give the kids something without it being CANDY! They get enough candy at each party to give a small horse a sugar high. But I digress.

So last night we had quite the assembly line going, which went like this:
  • I would ask E, "Which card would you like to give (INSERT CHILD'S NAME HERE)?"
  • After he chose, I would write on the card, saying everything out loud so he would know what I was writing.
  • I would pass the card to him and he would add his special message via crayons.
  • He would pass to Doug each time saying, "Heeeere you go!"
  • Doug would insert the pencil and place the card into the bag.
It was the cutest operation. Though it only took 10 minutes, it was one of those priceless times together. And he was so proud of them he had to carry them in himself this morning. And he didn't want to leave them in his cubbie; he wanted to take them to breakfast. I finally convinced him to leave them on the table in the classroom when he saw other ones already there.

As I was leaving, the blankety-blank balloons had begun arriving. I abhor the idea of sending balloons to daycare. But that is a story for another day.

No comments: