Wednesday, February 4, 2009

One Is Not the Loneliest Number!

I stumbled upon a hilarious t-shirt today from Cafe Press that I'm pondering ordering for E: http://t-shirts.cafepress.com/item/only-child-toddler-tee/25835883

I know you all know this because you know me (darn, when will this blog reached the level of extreme popularity that I desire so that perfect strangers are reading it? but I digress): I come from a large family. I am the middle child (I KNOW, I KNOW, explains a lot) of two brothers. My dad is the 2nd of 4. His dad was the baby of 8. My mom is the 4th of 8. Her dad is the oldest of 10. Her mom is the oldest of 5. Get it? Big family. Exceptions: My paternal grandmother was an only child; Doug is an only child. And one of my bestest friends is an only child (and her husband). And that has always seemed the most foreign concept to me, no offense to them (and I don't think they'd take offense seeing as how they were very quick to give their son a sibling). In fact, I have spent some mental energy wondering about people's motives for only having one child. Trust me when I say that for someone with 27 first cousins, this is a peculiar phenomenon.

UNTIL NOW. There are days when I think how foreign it would be (not to mention exhausting) to add another person to our family. But I'm sure in the end the thought of him growing up without a sibling will change my mind. That or God will have to strong arm me into a decision.

No comments: