Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's Burning!

THS and I were having a discussion about friend support this morning.  And have you ever been a cheerleader for a friend during a rant only to find out that was the WRONG response?  I get that.  Not to be a Negative Nancy, but sometimes you need your friends to be all, "Hell yeah, that is messed up!" versus "Keep your chin up!"  So, I had an epiphany.  The standard Emily response for all expected pep talks following a friend rant will now be...

...do you want me to throw FUEL or WATER on this fire?
:)



In sorta related news (related if you have a brain like mine), I just read Dooce's blog entry about her husband having to go to the ER.  And since that is (way too) familiar territory with me, you know I was engrossed.  And I was delighted to see that she too deals with the scary by making irreverent jokes while there.  Which brought a smile to my face thinking about Doug and I's last trip to the ER in December, where we laughed so hard we cried.  This transcript will not do the funny justice, but I will try.
Nurse, likely to an elderly, hard-of-hearing patient:
Now you just let me know if that starts burning.

Me, sleep-deprived logic (and with hand motions): Is something going to catch on fire in there, or does she mean like a salve?

Doug, in best redneck voice:
This shit's hot!

Cue hysterical laughter and tears...Good times.

No comments: