Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Houston Day 1: My Date with Destiny

We've been unofficially planning our trip to Houston ever since Holly went there in July.  So when I fell in "love" with Chef Bryan Caswell on The Next Iron Chef, I made my desire to eat at Reef known early on.  Now prepare yourself because you are going to have contact embarrassment from this story. 

[P.S. Erica says he looks like Doug, to which I replied, "A big Doug!" So it's ok that I'm mesmerized with him since he reminds me of Doug, right? ;)]

Anyhoo, Erica, Michelle and I flew without incident into Houston Friday evening.  After sprucing up at Holly's, Reef was our first stop on the Houston fun train.  I had been talking big talk for weeks about how I would be inquiring if the Chef was there and that his biggest fan had arrived.  In reality, I acted like a complete moron.  The restaurant has an open kitchen, so I spotted him on the way to our table.  I can't be completely sure, but I think I did a little dance while "whispering" I SEE HIM! I SEE HIM!  I'm so cool.  Then I sat staring directly into the kitchen all night.  I watched his every move.  I'm pretty sure I didn't hold up my end of that night's conversation. 

In news other than I-am-obsessed-with-Caswell, I did keep my promise to myself to try ceviche on this trip - AMAZING! 

But back to the important stuff.  At one point HE CAME OUT OF THE KITCHEN!  And he visited two big groups.  Erica, the great friend that she is, kept trying to come up with plans that involved me getting within 20 feet of him.  But I was completely freaked out with the reality of him!  I snapped these terrible pics on my phone while he was visiting said tables.  See that giant in the orange hat?  Sigh...



We are actually closer to him than these pictures indicate.  So close, and yet, so far away. 

Meanwhile, for those not losing their minds over the chef, Holly and Erica were treated to the most disgusting make-out display ever.  Seriously, those people should be ashamed! 

No comments: