Thursday, February 24, 2011

Houston Day 3: Sunday, Sunday

I was awoken on Sunday morning to the sound of Michelle leaving without me to workout.  Her defense when she returned was that I could have gotten ready and come on down.  Funny, that never occurred to me.

We headed to Hungrys Cafe for brunch.  I love the idea of brunch.  It's so Sex and the City-esque.  Super yummy food and mimosas.  After going back to get ready for the day (backwards much?), we headed to Erica's other homeland - Target.  I also love Target; I mean, what's not to love?  I finally made my first non-food purchases of the trip!  After that we headed over to Central Market, which is like a Whole Foods on steroids.  And let me just say it was obvious we weren't from around there.  I wish we had a recording of our excited finds: "A whole wall of potatoes!"  "Look at all the mushroom varieties!"  "Would you look at that meat counter!"  It was such a revelation of exactly how bad our supermarket situations are around here.  Oh, and did I mention all the yummy samples? ;)
Endive...it's like a small lettuce and celery had a baby.

I'll give you 3 guesses as to what we did next....that's right, more shopping.  This time off to the Galleria, where I continued my boring purchases at Borders.  I find my purchases so funny in retrospect.  See, I have this firm philosophy about eating out in new cities.  There is no frequenting chains or anything like you can get around here.  I truly believe in going to local restaurants and enjoying new things and experiences.  Yet in shopping, I'm that girl who wants to eat at Olive Garden in Times Square (or Chipotle - jk, Erica!).  Oh well, I think after 31 years of having a non-existent clothes shopping budget it's just too much to break habit.  Moving on.

We were struggling with a dinner location when we happened to pull into the parking lot of a strip mall containing Kata Robata.  Thinking it was both sushi and hibachi, Erica voted we go on in.  I think she ultimately regretted that decision.  In reality it was a tapas-style sushi restaurant.  Much Googling of menu items later, Erica ended up with this delicious lobster mac & cheese:

 

Meanwhile, Michelle and I decided to partake of a beverage since the restaurant features a "Mixology Team" - a 5-member team?!? - and it's a good thing because Doug called being stupid about having to (for once) handle homework.  Thank you, Cucumber High, for your deliciousness in the face of ridiculousness.


This was the 2nd leg of my adventurous eating journey as this time we had carpaccio. Unfortunately all those tiny servings left us a bit unsatisfied, but it was nothing that a cupcake shop couldn't fix!

We headed back to the apartment and laughed our hineys off at Sinbad's comedy show. Is there anything better than hanging out with best friends?  Maybe hanging out with best friends, laughing, and eating cupcakes. :)

No comments: