Wednesday, May 27, 2009

NY Pt. 2: Pomp, Circumstance and a Sniper Too

Saturday morning came very early following such a poor night of sleep. After showering in a stall alongside my mom and grandma, it was time to get ready in the big public bathroom. Fun times, they were. We piled into 3 cars to head toward post (aka campus). After all licenses checked and faces confirmed, we headed just inside the gate to park and catch a shuttle. THE LAMEST SHUTTLE ON EARTH. It took us 100 yards and let us out at the bottom of a hill. And we had 3 grandparents with us. Luckily we were able to get the grandparents on a golf cart and taken to the top of the hill. But then due to our gate assignment we still had to usher them around the end of the stadium and up another hill, only to of course have our bags inspected and to be wanded. Because that's my dream is to be standing there in a dress and be wanded. Then I, as official leader, led everyone up another incline and through many bodies to the restrooms. After that task was accomplished, we began our decent to our seats. When we finally reached Row V, we realized that had we gone in the gate the grandparents had been dropped at, our walked would have been tremendously shorter and we'd only have had to climb up a few stairs. Live and learn, and ASK QUESTIONS; don't just follow the ticket.

Next came the waiting because by the time we were seated we had at least an hour wait before the procession (so even longer until the ceremony began). Smart girl that I am had packed my paperback in my hobo purse, so I was okay reading except for the poor posture associated with bleachers. The sun came out at this point, and rivers of sweat were running down my legs. Mercifully, though, after 30 mins of sun, the clouds rolled in as did the breeze. Perfect weather. At some point my grandmother decided she needed to go to the restroom again, so up we climed, then descended again. I tell you, if felt like climing Everest. We swore we would not climb them again and would use the alternate route on the way out.

Finally, we spotted the cadets marching up to get in formation. If there is one thing those cadets can do, it's march impressively. I know that all graduations are full of pomp and circumstance as I have been to numerous high school graduations and a handful of college as well (I do have 27 first cousins, after all). But there is no comparison to the marching and security that accompanies this kind of event. Turns out, I too think snipers are cool. I have a picture of one. I also have pictures of the Secretary of Defense who gave the commencement address. And it was a great speech. I mean, it wasn't the usual "you will go out and be leaders" crap. This was serious stuff. This was "you chose to enroll in a time of war, knowing you would most likely leave in a time of war; go out and protect our freedom." Now granted, I am paraphrasing big time, but you get the drift. It was impossible not to be moved by this. I cannot imagine the sense of duty each of those now 2LTs must feel.

We were able to follow along and know when Jeb's name would be called to receive his diploma. They gimped up his name, no surprise, but David and I were able to snap pictures of his back as he received it. Why did this emotional girl not have tissue?? Thank goodness for sunglasses.

After the hat toss and the chaos that is the kiddos going after them, we anxiously waited for Jeb to meet us in the stands. I have great pics of him making his way to us, a huge beaming smile on his face.

We were finally able to begin our treck back to the car. This time we needed to get across post to the Catholic Chapel. However, they had some roads blocked, so mom decided to exit post and come in another entrance. Horrible idea. The traffic was backed up at the other entrance, and we spent over 30 mins trying to get from one side to the other.

When we finally arrived at the Chapel, we got ready for the pinning ceremony. These ceremonies are much smaller and much more informal, but impressive all the same. Jeb took his oath, and my parents pinned on his 2LT bars. More tears. I was able to get a 4 min video of this ceremony. He made a speech, and in it he acknowledge me as his second mom who helped raise him. It was an extremely wonderful moment in my life.

Next we had lunch in the rectory with some other friends who had traveled to support him and see him graduate. It was a very relaxing time following all the ceremonies. Soon after we headed back to the retreat center to rest and then have a BBQ. It was low key but wonderful. Unfortunately mom and I were on cleanup duty, but I got to operate the coolest commercial dishwasher. A home model is now on my wish list.

No comments: