Monday, May 16, 2011

A Little Mo' Cardio

An acquaintance recently introduced me to See Jane Run, who I now "follow" on Facebook.  I love the testimonials from other women about why they run.  And it's a good thing that was in my brain during Vanessa's and I's 2nd 5k (Saturday, May 14) because I couldn't find my mental happy place (The HILLS are alive!).  So I started thinking like those women, and chanted to myself:
I run because I can.
I run for me.
I run for us (Van).
I run for my family.
I run to prove I can.
We finished in 33:34...taking 2:45 off our previous time!  (For reference, see 1st 5k story here.)  We placed 40 and 41 out of 71 participants.  Now, we had done a lot of mental preparation for this race, and again, the course is VERY HILLY.  My student worker, an amazing runner, had warned me that our time might be slower due to the hills.  Well, we were blessed with fantastic, cool weather (all the better to breathe in!), and apparently a whole lot of adrenaline! 


One of the funniest things to me was at registration.  We saw two women with the race map trying to figure out the course before starting.  Vanessa and I were both like, "OMG, you mean they haven't run the course?!"  Then we got a kick out of our Type A selves having HAD to do our race homework to prepare.  :)

But the FUNNIEST thing was receiving a call later in the morning that I had won my age category.  After a few euphoric seconds, I realized that probably meant I was the only person in my age category.  Well I was wrong...there was one other person!  HA!  But I did beat her by 1:15! :)  I'll take it anyway!

 

Next up, a different training schedule for summer (read as: AVOIDING THE HEAT).  Then we have our sights set on the Prairie Arts Festival 5K in early September.  Our goal is to run that one without any walking.

There is no finish line. - See Jane Run

3 comments:

Vanessa Collier said...

YAY for Us. WE ROCK!!! I so enjoy running with you. Have a great day!

Chicken's Mom said...

You too! MWAH! :)

Tennille said...

Yay for a big win!!!!