Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body

It is very apropos that last night's episode of The Biggest Loser featured a 5k since I just completed my very 1st 5k this weekend!  And no, I was not running through mixed-terrain in New Zealand, but the emotions were so very similar.  The feelings of "I can't believe I'm doing this"..."I never thought I would be a 'runner'"..."Being overweight and out of shape means I can't do things"...Powerful emotions.  It is something I have been wanting to do for about 3 years.  And a year ago my running buddy Van and I were about THIS CLOSE to beginning.  But the beginner's running course was offered at times that were not conducive to our commuter schedules.  Fast forward an entire year, and we joined said class together.  We trained for 5 weeks with the amazing Molly, and we were so happy to finish in 36:15!  We are now training for our 2nd 5k, and we are still in awe that we did it, that we stayed on track and completed this goal that was so important to us.  Not only was it an amazing journey for our individual selves, but it was a great journey to take together as cousins.   Maybe next time this huge milestone will actually include pictures!

I'm working on a new personal goal (no, nothing insane like running anything longer than a 5k), which I will share with you in time.

Title credit: U.S. Marine Corp

4 comments:

Kasey said...

Congrats on the 5k!!! That is awesome. Even though I run a lot I have never ran a race. I need to put that on my to do list. I too never thought I would be a runner. Remember when Couch Hughey would drop us off on Hazelwood Rd. and we would have to run to the bus. I don't think I ever ran the entire way. I hated it! Now I like it bc I see results.

Chicken's Mom said...

YES! I have nightmares about trying to reach that bus! And that was the most "in shape" I've ever been in my life!

The Dimino's said...

Congrats!! I am about to start the Couch25k program! Coach Hughey did know how to keep us in shape!! lol I wish I was still that in shape and that thin!! hahaha I think that was 70 lbs ago but who's counting!

Chicken's Mom said...

Update (for posterity sake):
I finished 33 out of 64!