Monday, August 9, 2010

The First Day of 4K


Dear Elliott,

Today was your first day of 4k at CBS. We have literally been preparing for this day for months. I was 3rd in line the morning of March 11 to register you; Aunt Penny and I took you and Corgan for a tour on April 9; you had your testing on April 20; you had your speech test repeated on July 23; and we went for open house on August 6. That's a lot of preparation! Not to mention all the talking (cheerleading!) for big school, the big production of your last day of daycare, buying school supplies as a family, and even grocery shopping for school lunch stuff all together. We worked very hard to get you prepared in every way we could for today. And I will say, you had been talking a good game for quite awhile. And as your mother, who knows you better than anyone, I was anxiously optimistic.

You didn't cry before bed last night, which was a really good sign with you. In fact, I overheard you repeating the morning schedule I had given you to your daddy as you were about to go to sleep. It was so precious. This morning you woke up in a good mood, even giving a little cheer for big school. But your nerves showed through when you sat down to breakfast with Daddy. You were unable to eat, but that was ok. You were still being calm, even telling me how brave you were being! And you were! You minded so good this morning, following the aforementioned new morning schedule. You were proud to put on your new Iron Man t-shirt from Granna and to carry your new Iron Man 2 backpack and Spider-Man lunchbox (with a Spider-Man thermos of water, a turkey and cheese sandwich on whole wheat - cut into 2 dinosaurs - in your green sandwich box, carrots and ranch, baked cheetos, grapes, and a napkin inside - you always ask for a napkin with your McDonald's order, which I think is so cute). Corgan came to ride with us, and y'all were all prepared to even get out of the car yourselves on the first day of big school.

Unfortunately, I made an error in traffic planning. Since there are 3 schools within just two blocks of our house, morning school traffic is a big problem. I chose the wrong route, which caused a small traffic jam. And since you feed off my stress like a leech, you became anxious, which resulted in your stomach hurting. Bless your heart, you starting crying and panicking, two common reactions lately when your stomach hurts. So, I parked the car and walked the two of you to your classroom. You cried all the way in; Corgan noted, "I'm not crying."

Luckily, when we reached your room, you stopped crying, put your lunchbox in your cubby, hung up your backpack, and after I convinced you to give me a hug, walked into Mrs. Michelle's class like the big boy you are. If it were possible to will you to have the first best day ever, it would happen as I have used all of my mental energy this morning focusing on you having a good day!

You and I are quite the nature versus nurture study subjects. How in the world, other than Divine planning, could you have ended up with so many of Papi's and I's neuroses? We both have the nervous stomach, and I was always terrified of the first day of every school year. I even stayed up past 1 am this morning worrying (and crying) for you. Just know, sweet boy, if I could take the nerves away for you, I would do it.

I hope you are having the best 1st day ever. I can't wait to hear about your day when Grandmommy picks you up at 2:15. And one day, should you only remember the bad stuff of first days of school, you will have this account of a good first day of school.

Love,
Mami


P.S. I did not call your Daddy hysterically crying after the drop-off, as he had predicted. :)

1 comment:

Kasey said...

This made me a little teary eyed. So sweet. I hope he has a great first day!!!