Monday, October 12, 2009

How Much is that Transformer on the Endcap?

(Sing to the tune of "How much is that doggy in the window?")

Grandmommy, Elliott and I had the best day planned for yesterday. And though it did end good overall, there were a couple of derailments along the way.

We headed to Columbus to attend mass at 10:30 am. But as we were walking across the parking lot toward the church, we were stopped by a friend who told us it was almost over. HUH? It's only 10:15. Then my mom's face gets that Oh My Gosh look, and she remembers that it was moved up an hour because of some monthly picnic. Oops. So we headed on over to Wal-Mart to buy a birthday present for Elliott's friend, but more importantly so Elliott could visit the toys. And that is when the second, and major, derailment occurred. The little hard head was insistent that I hand him a transformer from a high shelf on an end cap - even though we assured him they were the same as the ones on the lower shelves. But oh no, he had to see one. So as I'm lifting it down, I DROP IT ON HIM (I am, and always have been, a huge clutz). And his eyebrow starts GUSHING blood and he is of course wailing at the top of his lungs. So I'm holding a printed recipe to his head while we search for my Mossy Oak bandaids and then finally get the wound covered. I am marching out of there -- in heels -- holding his 45+ lb self, he's wailing, Mom is pushing the buggy like a wild woman, then she was going to abandon the birthday gift. But we are right there by the checkout and there is no one in line (has that ever happened at Wal-Mart before? I think not), so I insist we go ahead and buy it. So then we get to the car and by now the pain is making him angry. So he is not so into being buckled into his carseat. And it hits me like a ton of bricks: What if someone thinks I'm abducting this child...who looks nothing like me. And that almost shattered my heart. A McDonald's happy meal and a trip to the clinic in Columbus that is open on Sundays (!!) later, no stitch was needed. Though he looks worse for the wear:

Poor baby :(

We were able to continue on with lunch at Peking, shopping for fall clothes, attending a birthday party, and even going to Country Pumpkins in Caledonia. He feels much better, see!

Corn!

Cotton!

Look, he eventually forgave me!

Later, taters!

2 comments:

mkraiz said...

How awful! You need to quit beating your kid! hahahaha! My dad once held me upside down and my toe got cut by a metal fan blade. Tragic! He felt awful. doh!

Kasey said...

poor little thing. but the corn and cotton sure look like a lot of fun! my boys would love it.