Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Elf

I have been planning to write this post for a day or two now about my favorite Christmas elf. But today I knew I had to do it after I saw pics on FB from a "tacky Christmas sweater" party. And it made me sad. Because my favorite Christmas elf, MY MOM, loves Christmas shirts, sweaters and jewelry. And what is wrong with that? She is celebrating the season. And looking quite fetching while she does so. I have a few. And I must confess, now that I work somewhere new, I did question whether or not to bust mine out this year. The real reason I didn't is b/c I was too lazy to take them out of the special wash hamper and take the time to wash and DRY them, which takes forever. And I know my friends aren't fans of them. But here is my take on it: If you don't like them, don't wear them. But don't mock those who do. Let them celebrate.

And now to the real reason for this post. My mom has always loved Christmas. It has always been special for us. She has always made sure the focus was on Jesus, yet she has always worked to make our house decorative and merry and to plan lots of fun things during the season. Now that they are more financially stable than in past years, she has been able to decorate her house to a T. Not that it wasn't decorated before. But she has been able to do it more to her taste. And it is so fun for not just the kids but for all of us. So thank you, My Christmas Elf, for teaching us to enjoy the season to its fullest. And keep on wearing your sweaters!

3 comments:

mkraiz said...

How can you beat genetics? If your mom is a Christmas sweater luva then it only seems logical that you would love them too. Plus, I think that the fact that you're a mom changes your outlook on holiday fashions and your right to wear them. If I walked around with Christmas sweaters on everyday, then everyone would think............"there is that poor, lonely, spinster, cat lady who loves Christmas." baaaahahahahaha!

Chicken's Mom said...

WAIT JUST A MINUTE! I think you just moved me into the Mom Jeans category with this comment! HELL NO, I WON'T GO!

mkraiz said...

I think that the definition of "mom" jeans is changing. It isn't the old high waisted possibly pleated with elastic waist jeans anymore. Anything other than super low rise is considered "mom" jeans by the younger crowd.