Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Striving to be better at life

Tomorrow kicks off Lent, and most people have been very curious as to what I will give up this year.  In years past I've given up chocolate (too many times to count), Dr. Pepper (ditto), and even cursing (sadly, more than once).  I've been thinking about what to give up since the first of the year.  And here is what I decided: sloth and gluttony.

As defined by Wikipedia:
Sloth is the neglect to take care of something that one should do. The modern view goes further, regarding laziness and indifference as the sin at the heart of the matter.
Gluttony is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste. In the Christian religions, it is considered a sin because of the excessive desire for food or its withholding from the needy.
Allow me to explain.  I find myself almost constantly wondering why I can't get the same things done that other people do.  Why is my house always a mess?  How does that person have time to do C & D when I can't even get A & B done?  These questions coincide with my extreme dislike of hearing people say, "I don't have time."  My first step on my road of self-enlightenment is that I choose to say, "I don't make the time/prioritize my time correctly."  Here are the things I know: I make time for TV, fiction reading, etc.  So my focus during Lent is to watch less TV, read no fiction, do more housework, spend more quality time with my family - pretty much not to overindulge in anything not productive.  I have established additional goals like (1) must do dishes every night and (2) must accomplish one additional task each night.

My goal is that these behaviors will become habits after Lent, and my focus in life will be sharpened.

No comments: