Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Standing at the Corner of Overwhelmed and Frustrated

I think there may be one or two of you out there wondering what in the devil is wrong with me, and why I do not have an update titled "APPLIED!" yet.  Quite frankly, I've hit a wall trying to just PREPARE to apply.  In letting my crazy circulate in my brain for the past week, I thought I would try and give you an example perhaps that would put my frustration into perspective.

Let me try to draw some parallels so that maybe I can get my point across.  For the purpose of this example I'm referring to a couple who is actively trying to get pregnant.  Let's say you had to do the basal body temperature charting, that you were not one of those who just *POOF!* got pregnant first try.  So all the months of charting is analogous to the months of research I do about which agencies, country, etc..except my research usually takes longer than a few months.  Now let's say that you are ready to have "sexy time" (phrase courtesy of LAS) to conceive.  

I'm sorry, there are steps you must complete before you can go any further.  First, we will need you to fill out a multi-screen online application and submit $300.  Just to be clear, this is the FIRST STEP.  The following documents will need to accompany said application:
  • Three years worth of tax returns
  • Birth certificates and marriage license
  • Pictures of every room in your home and the exterior
  • A signed and notarized copy of a 12-page legal agreement
  • Forms from your doctors saying you are in good health...and for China, not considerably overweight
  • Net worth statement including your monthly budget
Let that all sink in for a few minutes if you will.  And know that following accomplishing all of the above (and more, I left out some of the other paperwork), you will also have to meet with a social worker 4 times.  One of those times will include a visit to your home to make sure it is safe, etc.

So how have I spent the last 2 months?  I've been getting Doug's life insurance setup, working in and around the house, trying to get Doug a primary care physician since lately he's only seen his endocrinologist, and freaking out in general.  All to GET STARTED.  Oh yeah, and trying to fit all that in around my "regular" life.  

I need a revised Monopoly card: PASS GO, PAY THE $300!

1 comment:

Chicken's Mom said...

UPDATE:

I made a bulleted list of everything that must preclude or accompany the two applications. And with spaces between bullets and 1/2 inch margins all around, my document is an entire page.

I need to heed Dori's advice...