Monday, December 6, 2010

The Line in the Sand

How is it that nearly half the people in my life think I'm cheap and frugal, while nearly another half think I'm throwing bills out the window?

How is it that I held out this long to get a smart phone, shunning paying $10 a month to add texting until I could get a smartphone, and no one said, "Good job, Emily.  Way to be frugal."  How come, other than our current society, this was only a target for mocking?

You know what?  I've been married for 10 years; a mother for six years; a professional staff member - paying into the state retirement system - at a major university for 8 years; a homeowner for 8 years.  I've financed an international adoption.  I got my master's virtually for FREE.  I don't buy designer clothes; I shop sales.  I buy boring so as to wear items longer.  I try to put money back into my home when I can, and I usually choose this over anything for myself.  I don't overindulge my child with things.

Just so you know.

Editor's note: In an effort at full disclosure, I do concede that I eat out too much.  

No comments: