Friday, January 13, 2012

Kansas Thanksgiving: Day 3 - Turkey Day!

At the very end of our shopping trip at the Commissary, I finally found cornmeal.  I had two options, a huge sack or a container.  I opted for the container for convenience...

So, this was my first Thanksgiving to ever be in charge of the cooking.  On the menu:
  • Turkey
  • Dressing*
  • Gravy
  • Squash casserole
  • Sweet potato casserole
  • Black-eyed peas*
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Crescent rolls
  • Pumpkin pie
I did the prep work on Wednesday night, making the work on Thursday not that stressful.  I say that, but then again I burned the peas.  Obviously peas were the easiest thing on the menu, but my multitasking got a little out of hand.  Also, I knew it was odd that my cornbread was very dense.  And dense cornbread leads to dense dressing.  It took days and discussion with my mother-in-law before I realized I had bought STRAIGHT cornmeal with no self-rising capability.  AHA!  All in all, though, my meal was a success.
    The spread; Emi busted out the fancy plates!

    We had a nice, quiet lunch followed by playground time and a walk with the dogs.

     
     
     l

    Truth be told, next year I will probably long for a repeat of such a fantastic Turkey Day.

    No comments: